|Acknowledging CMC Microsystems|
If your research benefits from products and services provided by CMC Microsystems, please acknowledge this support in any publications about your work. For more information, please visit: http://www.cmc.ca/en/WhatWeOffer/AcknowledgeCMC.aspx.
|Licensing Requirements or Restrictions|
Usage terms and conditions apply to this software, which can be found under Licensing Requirements or Restrictions at
Table of Contents
Note: This quick start guide provides instructions for installing Cadence’s Allegro/OrCAD 17.20 software on Microsoft Windows using CMC’s CADpass to access shared licenses on the CMC License Management System (LMS). The procedure has been proven on a Windows 10, 64-bit system.
The Allegro/OrCAD package includes:
- Allegro PCB Design and IC Package Designer
- Sigrity Signal/Power Integrity
- OrCAD PCB Design
Cadence offers Allegro/OrCAD tools for both LINUX and Windows operating systems. The full list of CAD modules for university subscribers is available upon request. Contact email@example.com for details.
Prerequisites for Installing Allegro/OrCAD with CMC Licence Manager System (LMS)
Before you begin with this installation, you must:
- Register with CMC Microsystems. Students and faculty can register with CMC at: https://www.cmc.ca/en/MyAccount/GetAccount.aspx?ReturnUrl=/en/Search/SearchAll.aspx.
- Have the appropriate level of subscription (Designer or Prototyping) if you are faculty, or you must belong to a research group supervised by an appropriately subscribed faculty member. Faculty can subscribe through the CMC subscription page at: Subscription | CMC Microsystems.
- Purchase an access token to the Cadence software bundle. For academic use, only faculty can purchase access tokens through CMC at:https://www.cmc.ca/WhatWeOffer/Products/CMC-00200-00470.aspx.
- Have a unique login name (LINUX or Windows) that does not contain a blank space. The following are examples of unacceptable login names: admin or administrator, cmcmgr, root, stcmgr, super, sysadm, user, owner, student, guest, temp, and system.
Note: The requirements are minimum requirements.
One of the following operating systems is required.
- Windows 7 Enterprise, Ultimate, or Home Premium (64-bit)
- Windows 8, all service packs (64-bit)
- Windows 10 (64-bit)
- Windows 2008 Server R2
- Windows 2012 Server (all service packs)
- Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon XP 2000 with multi-core CPU
- 8 GB RAM
- About 40 GB of spare hard disk space; 22 GB for temporary file storage and 8 GB for the installation
- Virtual memory at least twice physical memory
- Approximately 50 GB free disk space
- 1,024 x 768 display resolution with true color (16bit color)
- Broadband Internet connection for some services
- Ethernet card (for network communications and security hostID)
- Three-button Microsoft-compatible mouse
Subscribers must also have CADpass running on their workstations, and they must have administrator privileges on their workstations in order to perform these installations.
Accessing CMC Microsystems’ License Server
If this is your first time using the CMC Microsystems’ license server, refer to the document on the CMC Community website containing the instructions for downloading, installing, and running the CADpass tool: https://community.cmc.ca/docs/DOC-1528
Installing the Software
The Allegro/OrCAD archive is a set of three files on the CMC Microsystems website.
- Download the three files from https://www.cmc.ca/WhatWeOffer/Products/CMC-00200-03173.aspx. The file names have ascending numbers, and are installed in order of smallest number (Base_SPB17.20.000_wint_1of1) to largest number (Hotfix_SPB17.20.047_wint_1of1).
- Extract the file Base_SPB17.20.000_wint_1of1 archive using a program such as 7Zip. The contents of the directory for version 17.20 should be similar to the file listing shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Extracted Contents of the Base_SPB17.20.000_wint_1of1 Archive.
- In the directory, select the setup application and launch the executable. The introductory Cadence installation dialog box is displayed, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Introductory Cadence Installation Dialog Box
- In the installation dialog box, select OrCAD and Allegro Products Installation.
You are prompted to temporarily shut off your anti-virus software, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: Turn Off Anti-Virus Software Until the Installation is Complete
- Turn off your anti-virus software until the installation is complete.
- Click Next. The Cadence license agreement is displayed, as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4: Accept the Terms of the License Agreement
- Click I accept the terms of the license agreement. You may not continue the installation without agreeing to the terms contained within this document. To clarify your responsibilities, contact firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- For reference, print or save a copy of this license agreement. Note that this document does not circumvent or supercede any agreements existing between your organization and CMC Microsystems.
- To continue, click Next. The Setup Type dialog box is displayed.
- To install the complete package, select the option Complete installation, as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5: Select the Complete Option
- Click Next.
The Installation Setting is displayed. If IP Tunneling Driver is installed, the setting is as shown in Figure 6; if IP Tunneling Driver is not installed, the setting is as shown in Figure 7. See the CADpass guide to find a way to identify the presence of this driver on your workstation.
Figure 6: Installation Setting Shown When IP Tunneling Driver Is Installed
Figure 7: Installation Setting Shown When IP Tunneling Driver Is Not Installed
- Click Next > to continue.
- To begin unpacking the software, click Install. After about twenty minutes, the installation is complete.
- To end the process and close the installer program, click Finish.
In similar fashion, install the other two downloaded files to bring your Base release to the latest version (17.20.047). Your Base installation will run without them.
Starting the Allegro/OrCAD Software
Before starting Allegro/OrCAD for the first time, CADpass must be running.
- Start CADpass and log into your account using your CMC User name and Password
- In the CADpass window, double-click the Cadence license icon. A green checkmark indicates the license is active, as shown in Figure 8.
Figure 8: Select the Cadence Icon to Lock a Cadence CAD Tool License
- On your workstation, go to the Start menu | Cadence. The Allegro/OrCAD tools are listed, as shown in Figure 9.
- Start the tools as needed.
Figure 9: The Family of Allegro/OrCAD Tools installed on a Workstation
Troubleshooting Installation Problems
If the tool fails to install properly, contact CMC Support for help with diagnosing the problem at http://www.cmc.ca/Help/EngSupport.aspx
If the software does not find a license, an error dialog box is displayed, as shown in Figure 10.
Figure 10: Error Message When the License Cannot be Retrieved
Contact CMC Support to determine general license availability and your account status.
Additional Support Resources
Tutorials that are bundled with this installation are listed under Start menu | Cadence Release 17.2-2016 | Cadence OrCAD and Allegro Tutorials (Figure 11).
Figure 11: Cadence OrCAD and Allegro Tutorials List Supplied with the Release 17.2 CAD Installation
White papers, examples, and training options are available on the Cadence corporate website: http://www.cadence.com/st/pages/default.aspx
CMC Microsystems also provides relevant application notes for our CAD software. Contact us for more information, or post your question on our community forums.