© 2016 Canadian Microelectronics Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
|Acknowledging CMC Microsystems|
If your research benefits from products and services provided by CMC Microsystems, please acknowledge this support in any publications about your work. For more information, please visit: http://www.cmc.ca/en/WhatWeOffer/AcknowledgeCMC.aspx.
|Licensing Requirements or Restrictions|
Usage terms and conditions apply to this software, which can be found under Licensing Requirements or Restrictions at
The purpose of this guide is to assist in the installation and network license setup for the Alphacam CAD/CAM Software. The network license will be accessed through CADpass as outlined in this document.
Table of Contents
Downloading the Installation File
- Access the Alphacam software from CMC's CAD Tools webpage.
- Download the installation file AC2018R2SU2.zip.
- Extract the file to a temporary folder.
- Double-click StartHere.hta.
The installation screen is displayed, as shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1: Installation Screen
Installing and Setting Up Alphacam
- From the installation screen, click Install Alphacam to run the install file, Alphacam 2018R2.exe. If prompted to confirm the publisher, click Run, as shown in Figure 2.
Figure 2: Confirming the Publisher
- In the License Agreement screen, select I accept the agreement, and then click Next, as shown in Figure 3.
Figure 3: License Agreement
- In the Join the Vero Customer Experience Improvement Program screen, select No, thank you, and then click Next, as shown in Figure 4.
Figure 4: Join the Vero Customer Experience Improvement Program
- In the Select Destination Location screen, enter the name of the folder, and then click Next, as shown in Figure 5.
Figure 5: Selecting the Folder Location
- In the Alphacam System Folders screen, select the location to install the LicomDat folder, and then click Next, as shown in Figure 6.
Figure 6: Install the Alphacam System Folders
- In the Select Additional Tasks screen, check the Create a desktop shortcut checkbox, and then click Next, as shown in Figure 7.
Figure 7: Creating a Desktop Shortcut
- In the Ready to Install screen, review the details, and then click Install, as shown in Figure 8.
Figure 8: Installing Alphacam
The progress of the installation is displayed, as shown in Figure 9.
Figure 9: Progress of the Installation
- In the Completing the Alphacam Setup Wizard screen, uncheck the Launch Alphacam checkbox, and click Finish, as shown in Figure 10.
Figure 10: Completing the Alphacam Setup
Installing the CMC Tunneling Driver for Alphacam
- Open the AppGate Client, CADpass.
If you have not previously used CADpass, go to https://www.cmc.ca/WhatWeOffer/Design/Tools/CADPass.aspx and follow the instructions for installing CADpass.
- Log into CADpass.
If you are subscribed to Alphacam as a CAD tool, the icon is displayed in your list of tools window.
- The first time you run the Alphacam license, you are prompted to install the tunneling driver so that you can check out the license. After you have done this once, you can double-click the Alphacam icon to check out the license.
- Double-click the Alphacam icon, as shown in Figure 11.
Figure 11: AppGate Client
- To begin the instructions, click OK, as shown in Figure 12.
Figure 12: Installing the Tunneling Driver
Note: When the installation is complete, you will have to exit and then restart CADpass.
- When prompted by Do you want to run this file, click Run, as shown in Figure 13.
Figure 13: Running the File
- In the Choose Install Location screen, enter the location, and then click Install, as shown in Figure 14.
Figure 14: Choosing the Install Location
- If you are prompted by a security check, click Install, as shown in Figure 15.
Figure 15: Security Check
- In the Completing the AppGate IP Tunneling Driver Setup Wizard screen, click Finish, as shown in Figure 16.
Figure 16: Completing the AppGate IP Tunneling Driver Setup Wizard
- Close CADpass and then restart it.
Setting up and Initializing the Alphacam License for the First Time
- Open CADpass and log in.
- Double-click the Alphacam icon.
There will be a green checkmark on the icon, as shown in Figure 17.
Figure 17: Green Checkmark
- From the Start menu, open the Alphacam License Manager, as shown in Figure 18.
Figure 18: Start Menu Showing Alphacam License Manager (Windows 7)
- In the License Manager window, select Server | Defined Server List, as shown in Figure 19.
Figure 19: License Manager
The Configure License Servers dialog is displayed, as shown in Figure 20.
Figure 20: Configure License Servers
- In the Configure License Servers dialog, enter the Host name as Imserver-14.cmc.ca.
- Click Test Server.
The Add Server button is enabled.
- Click Add Server and then click Close.
- In the License Manager window, in the License Servers list, select Imserver-14.cmc.ca and click Change Active Server, then click Yes, as shown in Figure 21.
Figure 21: Changing the Active Server
- Confirm that you want to change the license server by clicking Yes, as shown in Figure 22.
Figure 22: Confirming that You Want to Change the License Server
- Click Configure Network Licenses, as shown in Figure 23.
Figure 23: Selecting Configure Network Licenses
The Configure Network Licenses dialog is displayed, as shown in Figure 24.
Figure 24: Configure Network Licenses Dialog
- In the right-hand pane, select Alphacam Educational.
- Click <<Reserved.
The educational license moves to the reserved side.
- Click OK.
- Click Close.
- Start Alphacam using the desktop icon, shown in Figure 25 or the Start menu entry, shown in Figure 26.
Figure 25: Alphacam Icon
Figure 26: Alphacam on the Start Menu
The Alphacam startup screen is displayed, as shown in Figure 27.
Figure 27: Alphacam Startup Screen
- For the simplest interface, select Alphacam Standard Mill, as shown in Figure 28.
Figure 28: Selecting Alphacam Standard Mill
You can explore the other interfaces later.
Alphacam is displayed, as shown in Figure 29.
Figure 29: Alphacam
You need to choose a post-processor, or the program will close. A post-processor is a translator to convert the drawing and the mill paths in Alphacam to the G-code program instructions for your mill. The mill vendor may have provided a post-processor, in which case, navigate to that folder and select it. For now, to confirm the Alphacam installation, choose the Alpha Standard 3 ax Mill.amp, as shown in Figure 30.
Figure 30: Selecting the Post-Processor
Alphacam is now successfully installed, licensed, and running. See Figure 31.
Figure 31: Alphacam Successfully Running
Further Help and Resources
Alphacam Help can be accessed by pressing F1, clicking the upper-right icon as shown in Figure 32, or by selecting File | Help from the main menu.
Figure 32: Help Icon
If you are online, you will be taken to the online help site at http://help.alphacam.com/Content/Online_Help/en/2018R2/User_Guide/UserGuide.htm#Introduction/about_alphacam_help.htm; otherwise, a local compiled HTML help file at C:\Program Files\Vero Software\Alphacam 2018 R2 will be opened.